A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
NFDC is underlining its commitment to reducing carbon as a trade association and advocating for our membership of 140 demolition contractors and 90 industry service providers to do the same.
NFDC’s Demolition Zero Working Group is in the process of defining a performance framework with specific priorities that are most relevant for the demolition sector to focus on and is taking essential steps now to raise awareness of this critical issue and signpost information, guidance and resources for its members.
Nobody has all the answers to tackling the climate problem, but there are two key things that NFDC is urging Members to do now to help play their part:
- Switch to HVO or low-emission alternative fuel
- Find out about The Climate Pledge
NFDC will soon be launching a reporting portal for Members, enabling us to set a baseline of demolition sector emissions to measure against and to gain a greater understanding of the current picture.
This webpage will evolve over time to become an NFDC Climate Change resource centre, so bookmark and check back here often for the latest updates.
USEFUL INFORMATION SOURCES
The Construction Industry’s Zero Carbon Change Programme.
Climate action tools for small and medium-sized businesses.
Global campaign rallying others towards a zero carbon world.
Expert partner for businesses, governments and organisations globally – supporting them to reduce carbon emissions and achieve resource efficiency.
Calls on all signatories to be net zero carbon across their business by 2040. Companies that sign the pledge commit to three principal areas of action.
The GHG Emissions Calculation Tool is a free, Excel-based tool from Greenhouse Gas Protocol and WRI that helps companies estimate their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
NFDC’S LATEST STEPS
> NFDC signs The Climate Pledge
NFDC has signed The Climate Pledge and in doing so, has committed to 3 Principle Actions:
- Measure and Report greenhouse gas emissions on a regular basis.
- Implement decarbonisation strategies in line with The Paris Agreement through real business changes and innovations, including efficiency improvements, renewable energy, materials reductions and other carbon emission elimination strategies.
- Neutralise any remaining emissions with additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially-beneficial offsets to achieve net zero annual carbon emissions by 2040.
All NFDC Members are urged to find out about and sign The Climate Pledge.
Being part of the Climate Pledge reinforces your commitment to sustainability and demonstrates how you are taking action. In addition, by signing the pledge you will join a community that shares knowledge, ideas, and best practices.
> NFDC advocates for Members to switch to HVO or alternative low-carbon emission fuel.
NFDC has announced that its members will be expected to phase out the use of red diesel on demolition sites and move to HVO (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) fuel, or an alternative low-carbon solution, as part of its wider commitment to tackle climate change.
The alternative fuel policy will apply for NFDC’s 140 accredited demolition contractors and for new members. The Federation will monitor the transition, effective from now until a cut-off date of December 2022 when all members will be required to demonstrate their efforts to comply.
NFDC’s membership accounts for approximately 80% of all demolition works in the UK and the switch to HVO fuel as a sustainable alternative will represent a carbon emission reduction of up to 90% compared with conventional fuel.
HVO fuel is readily available and can be used as a drop-in replacement in most modern machinery, without the need for costly modifications. NFDC members will be required to demonstrate that their supply of HVO fuel comes with Proof of Sustainability documentation.
Howard Button, CEO of NFDC commented “A number of our members have already adopted HVO fuel in favour of red diesel and we commend them for taking the moral, environmental and social responsibility to reduce carbon on demolition projects. We are confident that our full membership will readily make the change alongside their clients, suppliers, and subcontractors within the value chain.”
> NFDC signs up as ConstructZero Partner
NFDC, trade association for the UK demolition industry, is a Partner of ConstructZero – the construction industry’s zero carbon change programme. This means that NFDC has joined up with organisations across the sector under the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) banner to tell the sector’s story and celebrate progress to Net Zero.
Our commitments as a ConstructZero partner include:
- Providing signposting, support and/or guidance to one or more of the 9 ConstructZero performance framework priorities. NFDC has taken a first step with action towards the Transport priority, advocating for its members to transition to HVO fuel or low-carbon emission alternative to red diesel.
- Reporting back to the CZ programme board on areas of missing advice and guidance which could be developed to support our members.
- Issuing communications to cascade news and industry progress.
- Assist with the collection of data from the industry
- Monitoring organisations within our network who have signed up to ‘Race to Zero’, to encourage their continued commitment to reducing their emissions targets
INDUSTRY NEWS & ARTICLES
- (17th August) Construction News: Construction must gear up to deliver the outcome of COP26
- (6th August) Demolition & Recycling International: Demolition contractors’ body sets timetable for low-emission fuel switch
- (20th July) CLC: Industry sets out single framework to measure journey to Net Zero